[Jamie-news] Jamie Anderson Newsletter

TsunamiInc at aol.com TsunamiInc at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 14:41:52 EDT 2008

The Jamie Anderson  Newsletter

The Broad Street Band!  We’ll be at the Festival for the Eno in Durham this
Saturday, July 5, 12:15 – 1 on  the Meadow Stage
and 5 – 6 pm on the  Grove Stage.  www.enoriver.org
    1.  Tour schedule
    2.  Welcome and general blabbing
    3.  Free songs at _www.jamieanderson.com_ (http://www.jamieanderson.com/)

    4.  Why I’m voting Republican. Video!  It’s a video!
    5.  Article about Fanny,  groundbreaking all-women’s rock band
    6.  Articles in Curve
    7.  Help for  Indie-Music.com
    8.  Contest! Here’s your chance to win  a CD.
    9.  Looking for Midwest venues for November
    10. Mailing list business
    11. Ending  quote

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.  Tour schedule
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/5   Durham, NC, Festival for the Eno, with  Broad Street, 12:15 – 1 pm
Meadow Stage, 5 – 6 pm Grove stage, _www.enoriver.org_ (http://www.enoriver.org/)
8/1   Pittsburgh, PA, 7:30 pm, Square Café, 1137 S.Braddock  Ave in Regent
Square, (412) 244-8002   _www.square-cafe.com_ (http://www.square-cafe.com/) ,
with Tracy Drach
8/2    Indianapolis,  IN, 7 pm, Circle Unitarian Universalist Fellowship,
1818 W.  57th St, _www.cuuf.org_ (http://www.cuuf.org/) ,  _dan at danhenkel.com_
(mailto:dan at danhenkel.com) ,  317-446-2666
8/3    Hart,  MI, 7 pm, Comfort Inn, annual pre-fest concert, with Ruth
Barrett, tickets at http://www.jamieanderson.com/tour.html
8/5 -- 10   Hart,  MI, Michigan Women's Music Festival, teaching bellydance
and  songwriting, _www.michfest.com_ (http://www.michfest.com/)
9/26  Fredericksburg,  VA
9/27  Baltimore, MD
9/28   Carrboro,  NC, Carrboro Music  Festival, with Broad  Street Band
11/14  Rockford, IL, with Kara  Barnard
11/15  Ann Arbor, MI
11/21  Downers Grove, IL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2.  Welcome and general blabbing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I always cry at least  once at the National Women’s Music Festival. This
time, it was at the round  robin, the event that ends the festival, where all of
the performers get up to  do one song or spoken word piece. Andrea Gibson had
just done this incredibly  moving poem about the importance of art and how it
connects us all. It was all I  could do to hold it together when I came up
afterwards to lead everyone in a  final song. To honor women’s music pioneer
Maxine Feldman (who passed away last  year), we did one of her songs, “Amazon.” As
we began the opening chords, the  audience, already standing after Andrea’s
amazing performance, grabbed each  other’s hands and started to dance across
the room. As the song gained in  intensity with gospel voices, drums and
harmonies, I swear we all levitated.  Damn. Just damn.
The rest of the  festival was wonderful too. I heard some great music, from
Nicole Reynolds  charming songs to the smooth harmonies of Cris Williamson and
band. I got to  bellydance with Middle Eastern / Latin band Paprika. Tret
Fure's band played,  Ellis was her adorable self, Karen Williams made me laugh so
hard I had to press  my thighs together to prevent myself from peeing my
pants. Martine Locke blew us  away with her rock-infused solo set. If I’d have
cloned myself I could’ve heard  everyone and gone to everything.
Y’all need to come  next year. Really. Yeah, it costs more than some of the
other fests but it’s  still more affordable than an Olivia Cruise. Your male
friends can go and best  of all, there’s no camping unless you really want to do
it. I slept in a  comfortable hotel bed that made me very very happy.
In othe news -- I’m  very excited to play with my band, Broad Street, at
Festival for the Eno this  weekend. In August I’m doing a short tour that includes
Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Hart (MI). Hope to see y’all  out at a gig!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3.  Free songs at _www.jamieanderson.com_ (http://www.jamieanderson.com)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
_http://jamieanderson.com/music.html_ (http://jamieanderson.com/music.html)
Well, almost free. If  you really don’t have the dough or if you’re new to
my music, you don’t need to  pay. But if you’re a fan who doesn’t plan to buy
an album, please consider using  the Paypal donation button. You’ll help keep
my cats in  kibble.
I just re-recorded  “Her Problem Now” with my band. It’s the first song on
that  page.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4. Why I’m voting  Republican. Video. It’s a video!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It’s hard to laugh in  these times but this oughta do it for you:
_http://youtube.com/watch?v=FiQJ9Xp0xxU_
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=FiQJ9Xp0xxU)
5. Article about  Fanny, ground breaking all-women’s rock band
Here’s an article I  wrote about one of the first all-women’s rock bands to
be signed to a major  label. They recorded at the Beatles Apple Studios,
partied with Mick Jagger and  kicked some serious musical booty:
http://www.afterellen.com/music/2008/7/fanny?page=0%2C0
At the same site, I’m  writing recaps of my fav reality TV show So You Think
You Can  Dance:
_http://www.afterellen.com/blog/58173_ (http://www.afterellen.com/blog/58173)

I’ve also penned an  article about women’s music:
_http://www.afterellen.com/music/2008/4/womensmusic101_
(http://www.afterellen.com/music/2008/4/womensmusic101)
I’ll be writing more  for them. Stay tuned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6. Articles in Curve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’ve also written a  couple of articles for Curve for  their July music
issue. It’s out now. I’m not sure yet if you’ll be able to read  it on line (if
so, it’ll be at _www.curvemag.com_ (http://www.curvemag.com/) ) or just the
paper  version.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7. Help for  Indie-Music.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I sometimes write for  Indie-Music.com, a great website featuring the work of
independent musicians.  The folks who run it, Suzanne Glass and Paul Bultman,
recently lost their home  and business in the flooding that hit Columbus,
Indiana. They’re currently living in a  borrowed home and slowly building their
lives up again. If you can help with a  small donation, I’m sure they’d
appreciate it greatly. You can send them  something via Paypal using
_billing at indie-music.com_ (mailto:billing at indie-music.com) . You could  also send a check to
Indie-Music.com, PO Box 602, Columbus,  IN 47202. If you’re in the music
business,  consider supporting their site by purchasing an ad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8. Contest! Here’s  your chance to win a CD.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Supply a funny caption  for each of these photos and send them to Jamie at
jamieanderson dot com. The  winning entries will be published in the next
newsletter and win a CD. And yes,  these are my cats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9. Looking for  Midwest venues for  November

You  are on this list because you signed up at a concert or went online and
signed  yourself up. If neither of those things happened then someone has
forwarded you  this newsletter. I do not add anyone without their permission nor is
this list  sold to anyone else. If you'd like to unsub, I'll cry but I won't
make you pay  my therapist bill. You can do it yourself at
_www.jamieanderson.com/newsletter.html_ (http://www.jamieanderson.com/newsletter.html) . Likewise
 if you'd like to change your address. Please  don't forward virus warnings,
news items, jokes or petitions.  With over 2,000 of you on this list it'd be
too much to keep up with the extra  mail. However, I love getting mail from
fans and answer when I can: tsunamiinc  at aol dot com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11.  Ending quote
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Larry King's interview  with Jon Stewart, Larry brought up the subject of
the primaries and asked him if  America was ready for a woman or a  Black
president.

Jon looked at him quizzically and said, "This is  such a non-question. Did
anyone ask us in 2000 if Americans were ready for a  moron?"
Peace and  chocolate,

-- Jamie

www.jamieanderson.com
www.MySpace.com/jamieandersonmusic