[Jamie-News] The Jamie Anderson Newsletter

TsunamiInc at aol.com TsunamiInc at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 15:15:00 EST 2004

The Jamie Anderson Newsletter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Performances
2. Welcome and general blabbing
3. The National Women's Music Festival
4. CDs make great gifts
5. Do you think you might attend Women In Harmony?
6. Bellydance photos
7. Dance classes in Durham, NC
8. Private guitar and songwriting lessons
9. Order form for new CD
10. www.sorryeverybody.com
11. Radical Harmonies on TV
12. January music and dance classes
13. Mailing list business
14. Ending quotes

~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Performances
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always check with the venue before heading out to a show.

12/11 Carrboro, NC, 7 pm, Evening of Songs for Peace, ArtsCenter West End
Theater, 300 E Main, 929-2787, with Tracy S. Feldman and others, tsf at duke.edu
2005:
1/14  St. Petersburg Beach, FL, Silver Threads, for conference participants
only, silvertreds at aol.com
3/18 - 3/21 Healdsburg, CA, Women Making Music, womamu at aol.com
4/9   Erie, PA (tentative)
4/16 Alpena, MI
4/22 Rockford, IL (tentative)
4/23 Des Moines, IA
4/30 Hamilton, NJ, with Girls Gone Funny (Carla Ulbrich and Deirdre Flint)
5/14 Glen Allen, VA, with Carla Ulbrich
6/3   Evansville, IN (tentative)
6/4   Louisville, KY
6/11 Chicago, IL, with Wishing Chair

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. Welcome and general blabbing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The furnace is cranked and I'm sipping a hot cup of decaf. The leaves have
dropped, revealing naked silver-brown trees all over town. Even the Carolina
pines lose a lot of needles in the fall. Who knew? I'm a desert kid raised with
much more subtle season changes. Some folks complain about the "lack of
seasons" in the desert but really, you just have to look harder for them. The plants
do change hue but most plants retain their leaves, unless there's been a lack
of water. There, seasons are determined more by the rain than the time of
year.

Oops, thought for a minute I was writing for Weather Monthly but this is the
Jamie Anderson newsletter dammit, a somewhat lengthy but entertaining tome
about me, me, me. Is that the sound of delete buttons clicking all over the
world? Wait! I include other things in this newsletter. Honest.

I started the month off with a weekend of great gigs in New England. The
first two were with Girls Gone Funny, Carla Ulbrich and Deirdre Flint. Our show in
Vermont was sold out. We had 'em hanging from the wood beams. Just how I like
my audiences. ;) I've been home most of the rest of the month, teaching and
working on my new album. The new CD gets mastered at the end of this month and
will go to the duplicator in January. It should be out in March or April! I'm
still raising money for the duplication and promotion. If you'd like to help
me with fundraising, there's an order form later in the newsletter. Please get
your orders in soon so those of you who qualify can be thanked in the liner
notes. Thanks so much to all of you who have already ordered. I can't wait to
share the album with you!

I've got one local gig coming up soon - a benefit for Ta'ayush, an
organization working to build a clinic and renovate a school in the West Bank. I'm just
doing a couple of songs since there's a great line-up of musicians. More
information is above. I won't be performing locally for a few months so I can get
ready for my big CD release concert at the Six String Cafe in Cary, NC. It'll
be a fabulous affair with many surprises so stay tuned!

Happy holidays y'all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3. The National Women's Music Festival
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During and after the this year's National Women's Music Festival, a lot of
enthusiastic women have come together with the focus of keeping this important
festival alive. They've met and outlined some goals.  They still have openings
for four board members. Contact them at gjk.mjk at verizon.net if you're
interested. You can also keep checking their website, http://www.wiaonline.org/ for
updates. This great event has 30 years of history. Please help keep it
happening!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4. CDs make great gifts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can pre-order the new CD. It'll come long after the holidays but we can
list the gift recipient's name (and yours too) in the liner notes (provided you
order at the $100 level or higher). If you can't wait, you can also purchase
Listen and Drive All Night from

CD Baby: www.cdbaby.com/jamieanderson, www.cdbaby.com/jamieanderson2
Goldenrod: www.goldenrod.com
Ladyslipper: 800-634-6044, or www.ladyslipper.org
Harmony Ridge: www.hrmusic.com

Or download individual songs for less than a dollar each at

www.apple.com/itunes or www.BuyMusic.com.

Add a few free songs from www.jamieanderson.com/mp3.html and wha la! You've
got a Jamie Anderson sampler, perfect for gift giving.

5. Do you think you might attend Women in Harmony?

Women in Harmony, my music camp for women, is tentatively scheduled for late
July at a beautiful camp in the mountains near Asheville, NC. There'll be fun
workshops (guitar, mandolin, harmony singing, drumming and more), song
circles, and an open mike. All levels are welcome - from shower singers to
intermediate players/singers. More from our previous three years is at
www.jamieanderson.com/harmony.htm. If you think you might attend camp, please contact me at
office at jamieanderson.com. You don't have to register now, I just want an idea of
how many might attend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6. Bellydance photos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I danced at a recent local event. Here's a photo of my solo dance:

http://Izdihaarsphotos.fotopic.net/p9138895.html

Here's a photo of me with the other dancers. We're doing the circle dance
choreography that I taught them. Those of you who've taken my classes at women's
festivals or in Durham have probably done the circle dance. I'm in the middle,
in the purple costume:

http://Izdihaarsphotos.fotopic.net/p9138880.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7. Dance classes in Durham, NC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All classes at the Durham Arts Council, 120 Morris St., www.durhamarts.org,
919-560-2726

Veil fun for bellydancers, Sunday, Dec 5, 2-4 pm

Basic bellydance for scaredy cats
Want to take bellydance but you're not sure you're ready for a whole series
of classes? Take this one-time workshop to dip your toe in the water! Sunday,
Dec 12, 2-4 pm

More bellydance classes in January.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8. Private guitar and songwriting lessons
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guitar and songwriting classes make great gifts!

For adults and kids. Many styles. Durham, close to Chapel Hill and RTP.
Monday - Wednesday afternoon and early evenings. Office at jamieanderson.com. Barter
possible for graphic designers. All others, cold hard cash. Okay, you can warm
it up first.

One of my students has graciously mentioned me on his new web site. Check out
www.dwightsullivan.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9. Order my new CD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm really excited about "A Promise of Light!" Here's the order form. I'll
also have order blanks at concerts and I can take credit cards there. Mail
orders require a check. Thanks!

____ $50 Signed first edition CD

____ $100 Signed first edition CD and your name in the liner notes

_____$500 Signed first edition CD, your name in the liner notes, a signed
photo and the complete catalog still in print: Listen CD, Drive All Night CD, and
Center of Balance or A Family of Friends CD

____ $1000 Signed first edition CD, all of the above PLUS a signed t-shirt
(size _____), selection of Jamie Anderson tapes, and one songwriting or guitar
lesson in your home (You must be in or near a city where Jamie is already
scheduled to perform.)

____ $2000 Signed first edition CD, all of the above (t-shirt size _____)
PLUS, a signed poster, AND a free concert for your organization (Jamie waives her
performance fee. Your organization pays for all other concert expenses and
keeps all of the profit. Date and a location convenient for Jamie's touring
schedule.)

Name__________________________________________________________________________
_______
Address_______________________________________________________________________
________
City_______________________________________ State/Province__________
Zip__________________
Email address
_______________________________________Phone_____________________________

Make check payable to Tsunami Recordings, include it with this form and snail
mail to:
4201 University Dr., Suite 102, Box 417, Durham, NC, 27707
Everything will be mailed to you early in 2005, hot off the press. Thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10. www.sorryeverybody.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're as depressed as I am about the national elections, you'll love this
website. It features photos of hundreds (thousands?) of Americans,
apologizing to the rest of the world. There are also pictures of folks from other
countries saying things like "My couch is available" (from a Canadian).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11. Radical Harmonies on TV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Radical Harmonies, the film about women's music, will be playing on satellite
and cable systems nationwide starting December 1, 2004. I'm in the film in a
couple of still photos. Blink and you'll miss me. Try not to laugh too hard at
the big hair. Find the film on these channels:

DISH Network - Channel 537
DIRECTV - Channel 190
Adelphia Cable - Los Angeles
Time Warner Cable - Manhattan, Austin, San Antonio, Liberty (New York), Los
Angeles (Chatsworth and Garden Grove), Milwaukee, Queens (New York)
RCN Cable - San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Washington, D.C.
Starpower Cable - Washington, D.C.
Please visit www.heretv.com for more information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
12. January music and dance classes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starting in January, in the triangle cities area of NC, I'll be teaching a
songwriters class as well as Bellydance I and II. Take a class yourself or buy
one as a holiday gift. Call the Durham Arts Council for more information about
the bellydance classes (919-560-2726). For the songwriting class contact me at
office at jamieanderson.com.

with anyone else. Feel free to forward this newsletter to your friends,
especially if I'm going to be performing in their area. Thanks!

13. The Ending Quote

Here's a quote I've been repeating to myself like a mantra:

"Action is the antidote to despair." - Joan Baez

Peace and chocolate,
Jamie

Jamie Anderson
http://www.jamieanderson.com