[Jamie-News] The Jamie Anderson Newsletter

TsunamiInc at aol.com TsunamiInc at aol.com
Mon Nov 1 14:07:11 EST 2004

The Jamie Anderson Newsletter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Performances
2. Welcome and general blabbing
3. Tell your favorite festival you want to hear me
4. Winners and answers to last month's music quiz
5. Dance classes in Durham, NC
6. Private guitar and songwriting lessons
7. Order form for new CD
8. Broadcast of May show
9. Acoustic guitar music review site
10. Mailing list business
11. Ending quotes

~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Performances
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always check with the venue before heading out to a show.

11/5      Shirley, MA, 8 pm, Bull Run Restaurant, 215 Great Road,
www.bullrunrestaurant.com, 978-425-4311, with Deirdre Flint and Carla Ulbrich
11/6      Bradley, VT, 8 pm, Middle Earth, Barton St. (just off Main),
www.middle-earth-music.com, 802-222-4748, with Deirdre Flint and Carla Ulbrich
11/7      Windham, CT, 4 pm, house concert, very limited seating,
springermassagewomen at toast.net
12/11    Carrboro, NC, 7 pm, Evening of Songs for Peace, ArtsCenter West End
Theater, 300 E Main, 929-2787, with Tracy S. Feldman and others
2005:
1/14      St. Petersburg Beach, FL, Silver Threads gathering, for conference
participants only, rikale at aol.com
3/18 - 3/21 Healdsburg, CA, Women Making Music, womamu at aol.com
April      Midwest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. Welcome and general blabbing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sure covered some ground in October - playing in six different states, from
Wyoming to South Carolina. Some were at universities for special events like
gay pride and in Oklahoma I played at Breast Fest. Whoo hoo! South Carolina's
gig was for the MCC there - I hope they raised lots of money for their new
building. What a warped, er, warm crowd I had that night.

I'm still raising money for the next two steps of my new album - duplication
and promotion. It should be out in the first half of 2005, goddess willin' and
the crik don't rise. If you'd like to help me with fundraising, there's an
order form later in the newsletter. Thanks so much to all of you who have
already ordered. I can't wait to share the album with you!

I'm preaching to the choir here but if you haven't yet voted be sure to do
so. I know the lines have been long in many places but stick it out, 'k? It's so
important that we get rid of Doofus Jr.

I'm heading out to New England next. I've got a couple of comedy shows with
Girls Gone Funny (Deirdre Flint and Carla Ulbrich) as well as one solo gig.
Hope to see you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3. Tell your favorite festival you want to hear me
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sent out audition packages to a bunch of festivals. You'd help me out a lot
if you could contact them and tell them you're interested in hearing me at
their event.

Vancouver Folk Festival, 916 W. Broadway #381, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1K7, CANADA
Falcon Ridge Folk Festival, 74 Modley Rd, Sharon, CT, 06069
White River Folk Festival, Conner Prairie, 13400 Allisonville Rd., Fishers,
IN, 46038
Michigan Women's Music Festival, PO Box 7430, Berkeley, CA, 94707
Wiminfest, PO Box 80204, Albuquerque, NM, 87198-0204
Clearwater Festival, 27 Midline Rd, Ballston Lake, NY, 12019
Philadelphia Folk Festival, 7113 Elwin St, Philadelphia, PA, 19119
Kerrville Folk Festival, PO Box 1466, Kerrville, TX, 78029

I'll stop now - there's more but I don't want your eyes to glaze over. Thanks
for your help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4. Winners and answers to last month's quiz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to everyone who entered last month's contest. I asked for bribes and
one of you graciously sent me several kinds of virtual chocolate. Hey, looking
at it is almost as much fun as eating it. Congrats to Dixie who wins a "Queer
Stock / Queer Soup" double CD featuring many artists including moi. There were
actually three of you that tied for first but I only had one CD as a prize. I
put all the names in a hat and drew Dixie's name. Congrats also to runners up
Marianne and Miki.

1. What's the title of Mary Chapin Carpenter's newest release?
Between Here and Gone
2. I perform a parody of a Melissa Etheridge song. Which one?
Bring Me Some Water
3. The producer of my newest CD is Kiya Heartwood. What duo is she part of?
Wishing Chair. Check 'em out: www.terrakin.com
4. Who has a song called "Fire in the Rain?"
Holly Near. I know there are others with a song of this name - some of you
searched the net and found them but it was Near I was looking for. She's a great
singer/songwriter of songs about peace and social justice. www.hollynear.com
5. Name two people/bands keyboard player Julie Wolfe has worked with.
I was hoping that some of you would mention me. She played on a couple of
songs from my Bad Hair Day release. I loved working with her. She's such a great
musician. Funny, too. The other artists she's played with include Ani
Difranco, Catie Curtis, Jami Sieber, Lisa Koch, and Bruce Cockburn. There are many
more, I'm sure.
6. I sometimes get mistaken for another funny singer-songwriter. Who is she?
(Hint: "You Make My Pants Pound")
Lisa Koch. The woman's a stitch - maybe you've seen her on an Olivia Cruise.
www.heylisa.com
7. What's the name of Laura Love's new book?
You Ain't Got No Easter Clothes. Great book. www.lauralove.net
8. What woman musician is famous for her slide guitar?
Bonnie Raitt. Yum.
9. Natalie Macmaster plays what instrument?
Fiddle. I love her albums but you've gotta catch her live. I saw her at a
folk festival where she was jumping off the speakers. Yowza.
www.nataliemacmaster.com
10. Who is the organizer and grand poobah of Women Making Music?
Judy Fjell. Women Making Music is a great music camp for women that's held in
California every year. www.judyfjell.com
11. Who just released an album called "Brown County Waltz?"
Kara Barnard. She's also on my last two albums. www.karabarnard.com
12. Who sometimes plays guitar for Al Stewart?
Many of you named a list of people and some of them were right but no one got
the name I was looking for: Dave Nachmanoff. Dave's a friend of mine who
played with me at the Kerrville Folk Festival a few years back. He plays almost
anything with strings plus piano (okay, okay, a piano has strings too - you know
what I mean). Great guy and a great musician. www.davenach.com
13. Who also has a song about cats taking over the world ("Fluffy's Master
Plan for World Domination")?
The Bobs. Wonderful a cappella group with quirky songs. Great CDs and I
especially love their energetic live show. Who knew that so much sound could come
from just four voices? www.bobs.com.
14. What country diva has an amusement park named after her?
Dolly Parton. Have you heard her bluegrass CDs? They're AWESOME.
15. Ember Swift plays with a great violinist / bass player. Who is she?
Lyndell Montgomery. Amazing musician. She's also on Kara Barnard's newest
release. www.emberswift.com
16. Where is Judy Small from?
Australia. If you like well-written topical folk songs sung in a warm voice,
this woman is for you. www.judysmall.net
17. Who has a great anti-war song called "Not in My Name?"
John McCutcheon. I'm surprised none of you got this right. He's one of the
best songwriters I know and plays a zillion instruments, all well. The song I
mentioned is one of the greatest anti-war songs I've ever heard.
www.folkmusic.com

That's a partial list of some of my favorite musicians. I have excellent
taste, eh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5. Dance classes in Durham, NC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All classes at the Durham Arts Council, 120 Morris St., www.durhamarts.org,
919-560-2726

Veil fun for bellydancers, Saturday, Nov 13 and Sunday, Dec 5, 2-4 pm

Basic bellydance for scaredy cats
Want to take bellydance but you're not sure you're ready for a whole series
of classes? Take this one-time workshop to dip your toe in the water! Sunday,
Dec 12, 2-4 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6. Private guitar and songwriting lessons
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For adults and kids. Many styles. Durham, close to Chapel Hill and RTP.
Monday through Wednesday afternoon and early evenings. A couple of my students come
from RTP on their lunch hour - you could too. Office at jamieanderson.com
Barter possible for graphic designers. All others, cold hard cash. Okay, you
can warm it up first.

One of my students has graciously mentioned me on his new web site. Check out
www.dwightsullivan.com. And no, I didn't pay him anything for the
endorsement. (Why do I feel like a politician saying that?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7. Order my new CD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm really excited about "A Promise of Light!" Here's the order form. I'll
also have order blanks at concerts and I can take credit cards there. Mail
orders require a check. Thanks!

____ $50 Signed first edition CD

____ $100 Signed first edition CD and your name in the liner notes

_____$500 Signed first edition CD, your name in the liner notes, a signed
photo and the complete catalog still in print: Listen CD, Drive All Night CD, and
Center of Balance CD

____ $1000 Signed first edition CD, all of the above PLUS a signed t-shirt
(size _____), selection of Jamie Anderson tapes, and one songwriting or guitar
lesson in your home (You must be in or near a city where Jamie is already
scheduled to perform.)

____ $2000 Signed first edition CD, all of the above (t-shirt size _____)
PLUS, a signed poster, AND a free concert for your organization (Jamie waives her
performance fee. Your organization pays for all other concert expenses and
keeps all of the profit. Date and a location convenient for Jamie's touring
schedule.)

Name__________________________________________________________________________
_______
Address_______________________________________________________________________
________
City_______________________________________ State/Province__________
Zip__________________
Email address
_______________________________________Phone_____________________________

Make check payable to Tsunami Recordings, include it with this form and snail
mail to:
4201 University Dr., Suite 102, Box 417, Durham, NC, 27707
Everything will be mailed to you early in 2005, hot off the press. Thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8. Broadcast of May show
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A show I did with Girls Gone Funny (Carla Ulbrich, Deirdre Flint and myself)
in May was recorded and will be broadcast on WFDU on Sunday, November 14. If
you live in northern NJ or the NYC metropolitan area you can catch it live,
sometime between 3 and 6 pm on 89.1 FM. For everyone else, you can listen to it
on the net. Go to www.wfdu.fm and click on the appropriate link. You may have
to download some software beforehand so don't wait until the last minute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9. Acoustic guitar music review site
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you like CDs with acoustic guitar - and you should since you have the good
taste to like my music --  check out www.minor7th.com. They feature reviews
of singer-songwriters, roots music, jazz and just about anything that features
an acoustic guitar. Many reviews include sound clips and a link to the
artist's web site. They've included a review I wrote about the new Po' Girls CD.
Click on the Short Takes link at the bottom of the home page.

with anyone else. I am the only one who posts - this is not a discussion forum.
Feel free to forward this newsletter to your friends, especially if I'm going
to be performing in their area. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11. The Ending Quote
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Suess

Say what you feel tomorrow and VOTE.

Peace and chocolate,
Jamie

Jamie Anderson
http://www.jamieanderson.com

Download individual songs from Drive All Night and Listen here:
www.apple.com/itunes, www.BuyMusic.com.

Buy Jamie's recordings here:
Goldenrod: www.goldenrod.com
Ladyslipper: 800-634-6044, or www.ladyslipper.org