[Jamie-News] Jamie Anderson Newsletter

TsunamiInc at aol.com TsunamiInc at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 11:30:21 EST 2004

The Jamie Anderson Newsletter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Table of Contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Performances
2. Welcome and general blabbing
3. Looking for house concerts in Florida, Oregon and California
4. Get free concert tickets - distribute flyers in Olympia, WA and Eugene, OR
5. CD sale
6. Download Bad Hair Day for free!
7. Looking for Susan Roberts
8. New CD!!!
9. Women in Harmony
10. NC music classes
11.Mail list business
12. Ending quotes

~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Performances
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Always check with the venue before heading out to a show.
*** with Carla Ulbrich and Deirdre Flint (Girls Gone Funny)
all other shows solo unless noted

1/2       TONIGHT! Cary, NC, 8 pm, Six String Café, 107 Edinburgh South,
www.sixstringcafe.com
1/10    Ft. Myers, FL, private engagement
1/16    Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, FL area - check www.jamieanderson.com soon for
details
1/17-18 Oakland Park, FL, South Florida Folk Festival,
www.southfloridafolkfest.com
1/22    Carrboro, NC, ArtsCenter, class begins: Solo Musician Performance,
www.artscenterlive.org
1/24    Carrboro, NC, ArtsCenter, workshop: Guitar for Songwriters,
www.artscenterlive.org
2/6       Tacoma or Bellingham, WA, tentative
2/7       Olympia, WA, 8 pm, Traditions Café, 300 5th Ave., 360-705-2819,
www.traditionsfairtrade.com
2/8       Seattle, WA, 7 pm, house concert, faylas at earthlink.net
2/13    Portland, OR, tentative
2/14    Eugene, OR, 8 pm, Paradiso Café, 115 W. Broadway, 541-485-3088,
www.cafeparadiso.com
2/20    Los Angeles area (east valley), CA, house concert, tentative
2/21    Los Angeles, CA, 8 pm, Renburg Theater, 1125 McCadden Place (one
block east of Highland, north of Santa Monica Blvd), StandOutProd at aol.com,
310-452-2525, with Suzanne Buirgy, Tret Fure, Lucie Blue Tremblay and Wishing Chair
2/22    San Diego, CA, house concert, tentative
2/26-29 San Deigo, CA, Folk Alliance Conference, open only to registrants
3/4       *** Cary, NC, 8 pm, Six String Café, 107 Edinburgh South,
www.sixstringcafe.com
3/13    Louisville, KY, Rainbow Café
April   Midwest
4/10    Yellow Springs, OH, Web Coffeehouse
4/22    St. Paul, MN, Gingko's Coffeehouse
4/24      Des Moines, IA, WCC Coffeehouse
5/6        *** Bethlehem, PA, Godfrey Daniels
5/7        *** Sarasota Springs, NY, Café Lena
5/8        *** Watchung, NJ
5/14    Bethlehem, NH, Highlands Inn
5/29/30 Kents Store, VA, CampOut
6/11    Indianapolis, IN
6/12    Chicago, IL, Mountain Moving Coffeehouse
July    Fairbanks, AK, Alaska Women's Music Festival
7/9-11  Bakersville, NC (near Ashevile), Women in Harmony,
elainetownsendsc at yahoo.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. Welcome and general blabbing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy 2004 everyone! May your new year be filled with many blessings.

I had a great time in Arizona last month. It was so good to get back to my
beloved desert!

Please feel free to forward my tour schedule to anyone you know living in the
cities where I'm performing. I don't have Sony's ad budget so word of mouth
is my strongest promotional tool and since I have the greatest fans on the
planet, I know you'll help me out. I've done many shows where fans have told
friends about the show and believe me, it always helps.

Tonight I'm playing in Cary, NC, see above. I head to Florida next. I don't
have the details yet on the 1/16 gig but I know it'll be in the Ft.
Lauderdale/Miami area. Keep an eye on www.jamieanderson.com for the info. On the 17th and
18th, I'll be in the singer-songwriter contest at the South Florida Folk
Festival. The Saturday performance is when I'm competing so please come and cheer
me on! Also in the contest is Tret Fure. Yikes. Booked at the festival are my
buddies Wishing Chair, Carla Ulbrich, Amy Carol Webb and others. I guarantee
you'll have a good time. Check out www.southfloridafolkfest.com. Next month
I'll be in the northwest and in southern California.

3.  Looking for house concerts in Florida, Oregon and California

I'm looking for a house concert opportunity in Southern Florida for January
11. I also need something in Oregon (not Eugene) for February 13 or 15 and in
Southern California for February 20 or 22. If you have a living room or other
space that seats 20 or more and good party-giving skills I'd love to hear from
you: jamie at jamieanderson.com. (I've got tentative dates for some of those
openings but just in case they fall through, I'd like something else.)

Even if you don't live in these places and think you might want to host a
house concert sometime, e me. I'll add you to a list and contact you when I'm in
your area.

4. Get free concert tickets - distribute flyers in Olympia, WA and Eugene, OR

I'm looking for folks to distribute flyers promoting my February performances
in Olympia and Eugene. If you think you can help, e me and I'll send you some
flyers. In exchange, you'll get my gratitude and a free concert ticket.

~~~~~~~~~
5. CD Sale
~~~~~~~~~

The palatial Tsunami Records warehouse is bursting at the seams. Help us
reduce our stock by taking advantage of this great sale. Get any CD (Listen, Drive
All Night or Center of Balance) for only $10 plus $2 shipping. Free Drive All
Night tape with every purchase. Fill out the order form below and send your
check/money order to Tsunami Recordings, 4201 University Dr., Ste 102, Box 417,
Durham, NC, 27707.  Sale ends January 31.

Name_____________________________________________________________

Address __________________________________________________________

City ____________________________________________ State ____________

Zip ___________________ Phone _____________________________________

Email ____________________________________________________

Send me _____   Listen for $10 each for a total of
__________
             ______  Drive All Night for $10 each for a total of
__________
            ______  Center of Balance for $10 each for a total of
__________
        plus $2 for shipping
__________

        TOTAL
__________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6. Download Bad Hair Day for free!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My all-comedy CD has been out of print for quite some time. I don't plan to
reissue it so I thought I'd offer it as a gift to my fans. You can download it
for free at www.jamieanderson.com/MP3s/Bad.Hair.Day/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7. Looking for Susan Roberts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Susan Roberts ordered my new CD at an Arizona show but failed to give me her
order form. Susan, are you out there? E me (jamie at jamieanderson.com) so I can
get your address. Thanks!
.
~~~~~~~~~
8. New CD
~~~~~~~~~

My new album, tentatively titled A Promise of Light, will be released late
this year. It'll have the songs you've been requesting on a CD, including
"Sister," "Hurricane" (the mandolin song), "Your Mama Scares Me," "Faith (A Promise
of Light)" and more. Featured musicians include the fabulous Kiya Heartwood
and Miriam Davidson (Wishing Chair), Kara Barnard and Leigh Peterson. Please
help me raise the $15,000 I need for this project. Below is a form with
information about how to order the CD. I'll also have forms at concerts and I can take
credit cards there. Mail orders require a check. Thanks!

____ $50    Signed first edition CD

____ $100   Signed first edition CD and your name in the liner notes

_____$500   Signed first edition CD, your name in the liner notes, a signed
photo and the complete catalog still in print: Listen CD, Drive All Night CD,
and Center of Balance CD

____ $1000  Signed first edition CD, all of the above PLUS a signed t-shirt
(size _____), selection of Jamie Anderson tapes, and one songwriting or guitar
lesson in your home (You must be in or near a city where Jamie is already
scheduled to perform.)

____ $2000  Signed first edition CD, all of the above PLUS (t-shirt size
_____), a signed poster, AND a free concert for your organization. (Jamie waives
her performance fee.  Your organization pays for all other concert expenses and
keeps all of the profit.  Date and a location convenient for Jamie's touring
schedule.)

Name__________________________________________________________________________
_______
Address_______________________________________________________________________
________
City_______________________________________ State/Province__________
Zip____________________
Email address
_______________________________________Phone______________________________
Make check payable to Tsunami Recordings, include it with this form and snail
mail to:
4201 University Dr., Suite 102, Box 417, Durham, NC, 27707
Everything will be mailed to you in late 2004 or early in 2005, hot off the
press. Thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9. Women in Harmony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you love to sing but years ago some misguided choir director told you to
mouth the words? Enjoy playing the guitar but can't change from G to C without
stopping? Want to sing and play music with other women? Then you'll love my
music camp, Women in Harmony, July 9-11 in the mountains near Asheville, NC.
Held at Camp Pleiades (www.starcamp.com), you'll find comfortable cabins or
camping space, all on a beautiful land that includes a pond for swimming.

There'll be workshops taught by Elaine Townsend, Mary Hocks, Phyllis Free and
myself - guitar, harmony singing, songwriting, drumming, mandolin and more
for beginning through intermediate players/singers.  Elaine is a nationally
touring musician and very talented guitarist/songwriter/teacher. Percussionist
Phyllis Free has played with Yer Girlfriend and a host of other musical
ensembles.  Her credits as a workshop presenter include the National Women's Music
Festival, the University of Louisville School of Medicine, and the National Music
and Health Conference. Web whiz Mary Hocks is a longtime singer/songwriter
who's also a university professor. I've taught songwriting at Duke, women's music
festivals and other places.  I've written about songwriting for Acoustic
Guitar magazine and for Songwriting and the Guitar, a book that also includes Joni
Mitchell, Paul Simon, the Indigo Girls and others.

There's more than just workshops! You'll find song circles, an open stage,
and performances by the instructors too. See photos of our last two camps and a
movie of 2002's event at www.jamieanderson.com/harmony.htm.

Cost is only $300 and includes housing, delicious food and all programming.
If you bring 10 or more members of your chorus, you'll get a discount!
Discounts are also offered for tent camping.  Registration forms will be at
www.jamieanderson.com soon.

For more information, contact Elaine Townsend, elainetownsendsc at yahoo.com,
404-627-6163.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10. NC music classes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guitar and performance classes are in Carrboro, NC, at the Artscenter, 300 E.
Main, 929-2787, www.artscenterlive.org. Private songwriting lessons are in
Durham. Contact the ArtsCenter to register for classes held there and write to
jamie at jamieanderson.com for songwriting lessons.

Guitar for songwriters
Saturday, January 24, 1 pm
Learn guitar techniques to spice up your original songs and get inspiration
for new ones. We'll learn different strums, picking patterns, new chord
progressions, drop D tuning and finding a melody in the chords. The course is for
teenagers and adults, new songwriters or those with experience, anyone who knows
basic chords and can easily change from one to another.

Solo musician performance
Thursday January 22, 29 (7-9 pm) AND Saturday January 31 (1-3 pm)
In a supportive atmosphere, you'll learn warm-ups, effective song
presentation, working with a PA, putting together a set, and dealing with venues. We'll
do exercises and perform for each other in the first two sessions. Then, in the
final class, we'll present our music for friends and fans. This short course
is for singer-songwriters and other solo musicians just getting started as
performers, and for more experienced performers who want to brush up on their
performance techniques

Private songwriting lessons
Weekday afternoons and evenings in January and March
Get valuable feedback on your songs and inspiration for new ones. Take one
lesson or several.

the only one who posts - this is not a discussion forum.  Feel free to forward
this newsletter to your friends, especially if I'm going to be performing in
their area.  Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
12.  The Ending Quotes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery than
live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it." - Harry Emerson
Fosdick

"Oh you who love clear edges more than anything … watch the edges that blur."
- Adrienne Rich

Relax in the mystery and enjoy the new year.

Jamie

Jamie Anderson
Singer - Songwriter - Parking Lot Attendant
http://www.jamieanderson.com

Please, please, please buy Jamie's recordings!
Goldenrod: www.goldenrod.com
Ladyslipper: 800-634-6044, or www.ladyslipper.org
Harmony Ridge: www.hrmusic.com
CD Baby: www.cdbaby.com/jamieanderson, www.cdbaby.com/jamieanderson2